GigaOM Structure:Data — New York, March 20, 2012 — RainStor, a provider of Big Data management software, today announced it is joining with IBM (NYSE: IBM) in the Big Data market. RainStor will work with IBM to deliver a solution that combines IBM’s enterprise-class, Hadoop-based product, InfoSphere BigInsights, with RainStor’s Big Data Analytics on Hadoop product to enable faster, more flexible analytics on multi-structured data, without the need to move data out of the Hadoop environment.
According to a recent press release issued by research firm IDC, the market for Big Data technology and services will reach $16.9 billion by 2015, up from $3.2 billion in 2010. That is a 40 percent-a-year growth rate about seven times the estimated growth rate for the overall information technology and communications business. This expected market forecast presents an enormous opportunity for solutions that can address the overall manageability and analytics of multi-structured enterprise data with volume and velocity.
InfoSphere BigInsights brings the power of Apache Hadoop to the enterprise, adding administrative workflow, provisioning and security features, along with best-in-class analytical capabilities from IBM Research. It allows enterprises to cost effectively manage and analyze the Big Data that consumers and businesses create every day. Paired with RainStor’s specialized database that can be deployed on any combination of IBM servers and storage, the combined solution can drastically reduce the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for customers. RainStor achieves this by significantly reducing physical storage, and also improves the performance of querying and analyzing Big Data sets across the enterprise.
Key features of the RainStor Big Data Analytics on Hadoop solution include:
- Extreme Ingestion: RainStor ingests raw, multi-structured data handling billions of records per day. As the data is ingested, it is automatically de-duplicated and compressed.
- Highest Compression on the Market: RainStor’s industry-leading compression starts with value and pattern de-duplication resulting in up to 40 to 1+ compression (97+ percent reduction in size).
- Query & Analysis: RainStor provides the ability to rapidly search and retrieve data using native SQL, as well as MapReduce–when deployed on Hadoop–for seamless integration with existing systems and tools, which enables you to perform analysis on Hadoop without the need to move data out to a data warehouse.
- Predictable Scale: Because of RainStor’s ability to reduce the storage and nodes across your Hadoop cluster, you gain significant cost savings and you can also easily scale up and out to meet future growth rates.
Deployable on any combination of servers and storage, on premise or in the cloud, applicable use cases and solutions include:
- Analysis for Machine-Generated Data Sets: With RainStor, customers can capture and retain data generated at network speed and extreme volumes. Examples include financial trade and tick data, market data for financial services at significantly lower cost compared to traditional database technology approaches.
- Data Warehouse Archiving: Customers can move historical analysis data into RainStor from any data warehouse, freeing up the data warehouse to perform analysis against the most current data, while continuously providing on demand access. With RainStor, customers can transfer their data back into the data warehouse at any time.
RainStor provides a powerful database that runs natively with Hadoop and is complementary to our Big Data platform. The combined technology will help customers extract insight from their Big Data in a more optimized way.
–Bruce Weed, Program Director, Worldwide IBM Big Data Business Development
RainStor complements IBM business intelligence and Big Data technologies by enabling data to be kept accessible on demand at the lowest possible cost. RainStor’s compression magnifies the efficiency and performance of IBM servers and storage, allowing customers to meet their growing Big Data challenges now and into the future.
–Ramon Chen, VP Product Management for RainStor
RainStor provides Big Data management software. RainStor’s database enables the world’s largest companies to keep and access limitless amounts of data for as long as they want at the lowest cost. It features the highest level of compression on the market, together with high performance. on-demand query and simplified management. RainStor runs natively on a variety of architectures and infrastructure including Hadoop. RainStor’s leading partners, include Amdocs, Anritsu, AdaptiveMobile, Dell, HP, Informatica, Qosmos and Teradata.
RainStor is a privately held company with offices in San Francisco, USA and Gloucester, UK. For more information, visit www.rainstor.com. Join the conversation at www.twitter.com/rainstor.
Kulesa Faul for RainStor
 IDC, March 7, 2012, IDC Releases First Worldwide Big Data Technology and Services Market Forecast, Shows Big Data as the Next Essential Capability and a Foundation for the Intelligent Economy. http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23355112